Researching a CCC Worker
Expert answers on researching your relative's service in the Civilian Conservation Corps.
Q. My relative worked for the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. Where can I find more information about his time there?

A. The CCC was established March 21, 1933, as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal legislation. By the time the CCC disbanded in 1942, when Congress ceased its funding, more than 2.5 million workers had participated. It was a multi-agency effort, with the Army running CCC camps and various federal agencies sponsoring them.

More than 4,500 camps were established in all states. (Access a list of CCC camps by state here.) African-Americans were segregated in “colored” camps. Each enrollee earned at least $30 per month, and had to send $25 of it home to family.

It’ll help your search if you know your ancestor’s camp and the dates he worked, so ask your family members and pore over your research for clues.

The Colorado state archives has a statewide CCC enrollment index, which gives the enrollee’s name, county, birth date and camp.

Employment records of CCC workers are in the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. You can fill out a research request following these instructions. Provide as much information as possible, and send either a written OK from the person in the record or proof of the person's death.

Most administrative and other records—project reports, correspondence, the CCC’s Happy Days weekly newspaper, publicity materials, meeting minutes, photographs, accident and death reports—are part of Record Group 35 at NARA’s College Park, MD, facility.

Records of the separate Indian Division of the CCC are with Bureau of Indian Affairs records in NARA’s Seattle and Denver regional facilities.

The CCC records aren’t indexed and few are microfilmed. This National Archives blog post has excellent information on CCC worker research at the archives, as does the finding aid Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Civilian Conservation Corps by Douglas Helms.

Some of the camps had newspapers. You can use the Center for Research Libraries online catalog of newspaper holdings (scroll down on the page) to search for titles relevant to your ancestors' service.

Learn more about the CCC on these sites:

You'll find more help researching records at the National Archives with The Center: A Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Capital Area by Christina K. Schaefer. Our Research Strategies: Federal Agency Records article download will help you access records from other US government agencies. Both resources are available at

Share |
Did you enjoy this article?
Please share it!
Recent Blog Posts »
Recent Articles »

Free Genealogy Downloads

©  F+W All rights reserved.