Read a book, rent a film or pop in a CD to revel in your Irish roots.
If you're not lucky enough to have an Irish pub or parade nearby, don't fret. Read a book, rent a film, grab the remote or pop in a CD to revel in your roots.
- 44: Dublin Made Me by Peter Sheridan (Viking Press)—The brother of Oscar-winning director Jim Sheridan (In the Name of the Father) recalls growing up in an eccentric 1960s-Ireland family.
- Tara Road by Maeve Binchy (Delacarte Press)—Irish divorce, e-mail, laptops and heroin addiction. A recent Oprah selection.
- Charming Billy by Alice McDermott (Delta)—National Book Award-winner about a sensitive Irish-American who falls into alcoholism after his heart is broken by an Irish lass.
- A Song for Mary: An Irish-American Memory by Dennis Smith (Warner Books)—Along the lines of Angela's Ashes, but set in New York City.
- Angela's Ashes (1999)—Neither Emily Watson nor Robert Carlyle is Irish, and Rosie O'Donnell lost the race to play Frank McCourt's mother.
- Dancing at Lughnasa (1998)—Meryl Streep mastered a brogue in the movie version of the Tony Award-winning play about sisters living in dignified poverty in Ireland in the 1930s.
- Waking Ned Devine (1998)—A whole villiage gets involved in a get-rich scheme when a resident dies before collecting his lottery winnings.
- The Butcher Boy (1997)—A disturbing Neil Jordan movie about a 12-year-old boy (Eamonn Owens) in 1960s Ireland who can't control his rage.
- The Van (1996)—Two Irishmen sell fish and chips out of a rundown van during the 1990 World Cup soccer tournament.
- Circle of Friends (1995)—Maeve Binchy's tale of college life in 1950s Ireland stars Minnie Driver and Chris O'Donnell.
- The Snapper (1993)—Colm Meaney is the head of an Irish household dealing with his teen daughter's surprise pregnancy.
- Far and Away (1992)—Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman star as Irish immigrants who eventually ride west in search of free land.
- Ellis Island by the Irish Tenors (Music Matters)
- Celtic Woman by various artists (Valley Entertainment)
- Otherworld by Lunasa (Green Linnet)
- Celtic Wedding by The Chieftains (BMG/RCA Victor)
- Forty Years Of Irish Piping by Seamus Ennis (Green Linnet)