Launch an offensive to discover your family's military history—but first, arm yourself with these records and resources.
Books and CDs
- American Civil War Research Database CD (Historical Data Systems, $89.95)
- Army Service Records of the First World War, revised edition, by Simon Fowler, William Spencer and Stuart Tamblin (NARA, $12.95)
- Index to Mexican War Pension Applications by Barbara Schull Wolfe (Heritage House, out of print)
- Index to War of 1812 Pension Files by Virgil D. White (National Historical Publishing Co., out of print)
- Military Service Records: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications (NARA, $3.50)
- Naval Pensioners of the United States, 1800-1851 by Lloyd deWitt Bockstruck (Genealogical Publishing Co., $30)
- Revolutionary War Bounty Land Grants Awarded by State Governments by Lloyd deWitt Bockstruck (Genealogical Publishing Co., out of print)
- Revolutionary War Pension Records CD (Ancestry, $39.99)
- Roll of Honor: Civil War Union Soldiers CD (Genealogical Publishing Co., $29.99)
- Soldiers of the Great War by W.M. Haulsee, F.G. Howe and A.C. Doyle (Soldiers Record Publishing Association, out of print)
- US Military Records: A Guide to Federal & State Sources: Colonial America to the Present by James C. Neagles (Ancestry, $39.95)
- World War II Military Records: A Family Historian's Guide by Debra Johnson Knox (MIE Publishing, $23.95)
Air Force Historical Research Agency
600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405
Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112
- Confederate Research Center
Hillsboro, TX 76645
- Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War
503 S. Walnut St.
Springfield, IL 62704
- Descendants of Mexican War Veterans
Richardson, TX 75083
- Family History Library
35 N. West Temple St.
Salt Lake City, UT 84150
- Grand Army of the Republic Museum and Library
4278 Griscom St.
Philadelphia, PA 19124
- National Archives and Records Administration
700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20408
- National Museum of the Marine Corps
Quantico, VA 22134
- National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63132
Military records: (314) 801-0800
- National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
1776 D St. NW
Washington, DC 20006
- Naval Historical Center
Washington Navy Yard
805 Kidder Breese St. SE
Washington, DC 20374
- Sons of the American Revolution
1000 S. Fourth St.
Louisville, KY 40203
- Sons of Confederate Veterans
Columbia, TN 38402
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Harrisburg, PA 17105
- United Daughters of the Confederacy
328 North Blvd.
Richmond, VA 23220
- US Army Center of Military History
103 Third Ave.
Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, DC 20319
- US Army Heritage and Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
Carlisle, PA 17013
- US Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20420
Recent Blog Posts »
Recent Articles »
Free Genealogy Downloads
Genetic Genealogy Toolkit
In the Genetic Genealogy Toolkit, you’ll learn about the three major types of genetic genealogy tests—mitochondrial (mtDNA), Y-DNA and autosomal DNA (atDNA)—and what these tests can accomplish for your genealogy.
Only available in Feb., this collection has a retail value of $209.96, but is yours this month only for $69.99!
They're going fast - get yours today!