How much do you know about the British royal family? As royal wedding excitement builds, take this quiz to test your knowledge of Kate's new in-laws.
(Scroll down to see the answers.)
1. When did the British royal family take the surname Windsor and
2. Who is the longest reining monarch in the history of the
3. How is Queen Elizabeth II (the current Queen of England)
related to Queen Victoria?
4. Which king was the subject of the Oscar-winning film The
5. Which royal did Adolf Hitler call “the most dangerous
woman in Europe”?
6. What is the title of Queen Elizabeth II’s husband?
7. Should Prince Charles become King of England, what will
be the title of his second wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall?
1. The family's surname was changed to Windsor in 1917 from The
House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. George V changed the name while Britain was
at war with Germany. With the royal family's prominent German ancestry, he sought
to improve the its public image with a more British-sounding name. The name was inspired
by Windsor Castle.
2. Queen Victoria, who ruled for almost 64 years from June 20,
1837, until Jan. 22, 1901.
3. Queen Elizabeth II is Queen Victoria’s great-great-granddaughter. (See the
Windsor family tree and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha family tree here.)
4. George VI, Queen Elizabeth II's father, who became King upon
his brother Edward VIII’s abdication of the throne to marry American divorcee
5. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen consort of King George VI (and
mother to Queen Elizabeth II), for her indomitable spirit that proved an asset to
British morale during the war.
6. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Philip was born into the
Greek and Danish royal families, but his family was exiled from Greece when he
was a child. On his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II in 1947, Elizabeth’s father,
King George VI, granted Philip the style of His Royal Highness and the title
of Duke of Edinburgh. Elizabeth, who ascended to the throne in 1952, made him
Prince of the United Kingdom in 1957.
7. Rather than being called Her Majesty Queen Camilla, she
would take the lesser title of Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort. She
would not be known as the Princess of Wales out of respect for Diana, Princess