One of my favorite Family Tree Magazine All in the Family challenges is when we asked readers to submit famous sayings of the moms in their family trees. In honor of Mothers Day this Sunday, Im sharing some of those momilies.
- and these are even more sayings that readers submitted to our Forum (anyone can read them, but you must be a registered Forum member to post a reply).
My sister and I had fun brainstorming the momilies we grew up with:
- For crying out loud!
- Hold your horses (and its close relative, Dont lose your britches)
- If [fill in name of childhood friend]s mom said she could jump off a cliff, would you want to jump off a cliff, too?
- I couldve yelled from here.
- Do you think someones going to steal your dinner? (when I was hunched over my plate)
- We were never allowed to eat suckers in the car, because If I have to stop suddenly, itll go through the roof of your mouth.
- You have until the count of three
- A birdies going to come and sit on your lip” (when someone was pouting)
- I have eyes in the back of my head. (My sister says this to her kids, too, and her youngest thought for years that she really did.)
- I don’t have a favorite. Youre all my favorites.
You’ll hear many more momilies, set to the “William Tell Overture,” in this YouTube video: