You might want to carve out a little time for genealogy over your Labor Day weekend: Subscription genealogy site Ancestry.com is making its entire collection of US censuses free through Sept. 3. That collection includes:
· 1790-1940 US Census collections
· 1850 and 1860 Slave Schedules
· 1890 Veterans schedules
· Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880 (such as mortality schedules and the 1880 schedule of “defective, dependent and delinquent” classes)
· IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918
· Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940
You’ll need to register for a free account with the site in order to view the records. Click here to start searching.
Ancestry.com also is introducing a feature called the Ancestry.com Time Machine: Answer a few questions about your interests, and get back a video of what your experiences might be like in 1940.