Don’t tell my husband I said this, but it’s almost enough to make an American genealogist want to cheer on England’s footballers: British subscription and pay-per-view site FindMyPast.co.uk is free during England’s World Cup soccer matches!
The World Cup match schedule is here. Thirty minutes before kick-off, FindMyPast.co.uk will stop charging for 3 hours.
Get full details on FindMyPast.co.uk. You’ll need to sign up for a free registration to access records.
Among FindMyPast’s records are:
- British civil registrations (akin to US vital records) starting in 1837
- 1841 to 1911 English and Welsh census records
- passengers leaving British ports (which includes those whose journeys originated elsewhere in Europe but brought them through British ports, such as Liverpool)
- death duty registers of probates generating taxes (1796 to 1903)
- British Army Service Records 1760-1913
- National Roll of the Great War 1914-1918
- Army Roll of Honour 1939-45
- specialist records (civil service records, directories of the medical professions and clergy, crew lists, shareholders of the Great Western Railway)
Need help practicing for your soccer-fueled genealogy search session? Download our FindMyPast.co.uk Web Guide, available for $4 from Family Tree Shop.