Ancestry.ca searched its collection of records for the most amorous Canadian names. Some of the results are romantic while others are downright strange, but one thing is clear — these Canadians’ parents were smitten with these monikers.
In the 1861 Canada census, Ancestry.ca found these romantic results:
- Love Bully, a 20-year-old woman born in Upper Canada, living in Dover, Kent, Canada West.
- Cupid Martin, a 35-year-old man originally from the United States, working as a yeoman in Raleigh County, Ontario.
- Amor Moran, a 24-year-old Irish-born woman found living with her siblings in a Montreal house with four other families.
- Venus Antahia, a 60-year-old widower who lived alone in Laprairie, Canada East.
- The first name of Valentine shows up 580 times. One hundred people have Valentine as a surname.
- Fourteen people have Amor as first name, while 18 have Amor as a surname.
- Nine people were named after Paris, the city of love.
Other lovely names:
- Love Burns, 13, can be found living in Harbourville, Nova Scotia, in 1871 Canada census.
- Lover Woo can be found at 91 Elgin St. in Humboldt, Saskatchewan, in the 1911 Canada census.
- Bad Heart Lasuisse, a 70-year-old Sioux widower, can be found living with five family members in the Territories in the 1901 Canada census.
- Romance Turrell married John Obrien on Christmas Day 1878, according to Ontario marriage records.