You can improve your genealogy research skills and make progress in your family tree quest, even on your busy schedule.
Registration is now open for the first online course offerings from Family Tree Magazine’s newest educational endeavor, Family Tree University. Choose from these courses:
- Finding Ancestors in the US Census: Online and Offline Research Strategies, taught by Jana Sloan Broglin
- Land Records 101: Using Deeds, Plats, Patents and More, taught by Diana Smith
- Tracing Immigrants: How to Research Your Family’s American Arrivals, taught by Lisa A. Alzo
- US Vital Records: Researching Births, Marriages, Deaths and Divorces, taught by George G. Morgan
- Reverse Genealogy: Working Forward to Break Down Brick Walls, taught by Lisa Louise Cooke
- Digital Photography Essentials: Techniques to Capture and Preserve Your Family History, taught by Nancy Hendrickson
Courses start May 10 and last four weeks (after which we’ll begin offering courses on even more topics). Each self-paced course has four to six lessons that are “released” at regular intervals over the four weeks.
Once you’re registered, you’ll receive your student login and password via e-mail, with instructions on how to access Family Tree University’s virtual campus. Then, you just log on at your convenience to review each lesson (online or in a PDF you can print out) and complete an exercise or quiz to practice your skills.
The professional researcher who’s instructing your class will provide feedback on your assignments. (Meet the instructors here.)
In your “classroom,” you’ll also have access to the required readings for that lesson, a library of resources for further learning, a message board where you can talk with other students and your instructor, and a “journal” where you can communicate privately with your instructor.
You can save 15 percent off your first course by entering the discount code LAUNCH15 when you register. Tuition is regularly $99 per course.
To learn more and register for a course, go to Family Tree University. We’ll see you in class!