- Editor’s Desk: Census Episode
- News from the Blogosphere: Breaking News from NGS
- Top Tips: Special Censuses
- 101 Best Websites: Footnote
- Best of Family Tree Magazine: Online Census Records
- Action Items
Your Host: Lisa Louise Cooke
To kick off this census-themed episode, Lisa and Allison talk about Family Tree Magazine‘s upcoming webinar Online Census Secrets: Best Web Sites & Strategies to Find Your Ancestors—one of a new series of Family Tree Magazine online workshops. Plus, a contest to win a free genealogy class fromGenClass.
Listen to the episode for details, then submit your entry via e-mail by May 30.
Genealogy Insider and managing editor Diane Haddad joins Lisa from the National Genealogical Society conference in Raleigh, NC, where she reports on breaking news out of this annual genealogy community gathering.
Visit the Genealogy Insider blog for more details and updates from the conference.
The US census is more than those every-10-years head counts—several types of “special censuses” may also hold ancestor answers. In our Top Tips segment, Curt Witcher, department manager for the Historical Genealogy Department of theAllen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, IN talks about the content of these records and where to use them. Read our complete guide to nine types of special censuses in the July 2009 issue of Family Tree Magazine.
101 Best Web Sites
Lisa chats with Footnote‘s Justin Schroepfer about what’s new on the historical records subscription site, including a way to memorialize relatives on Facebook.
Visit I Remember on Facebook
Best of Family Tree Magazine
In our last census-related segment, Family Tree Magazine contributing editor David A. Fryxell shares some of his tips for searching censuses online, from his articles in the April 2005 issue and the May 2007 issue.
- Enter for your chance to win a free genealogy class from GenClass. E-mail us with your name, e-mail address and mailing address, and tell us what you think about our new online workshop series by May 31, 2009, and you will be entered in the drawing. Then be sure to tune in to the June episode when we’ll be announcing the winner!
- Sign up for the May 27 workshop Online Census Secrets, hosted by Diane and Allison.
- Read the July 2009 Family Tree Magazine cover story “Special Help” to learn more about special censuses and how they can assist you in your ancestor search.
- Check out the April 2005 issue for more of David A. Fryxell’s online census hints.
- Visit the Genealogy Insider blog for all the latest genealogy news on a daily basis.
- Send us feedback by e-mail
- Visit the Family Tree Magazine Forum
Have fun climbing your family tree!
Listen to Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems and Genealogy: Family History Made Easy podcasts in iTunes and visit her Web site for great research ideas, podcast episodes and videos.