October is Family History Month, and lots of libraries and genealogy societies hold classes and special events to help you discover your family tree. Here’s a sampling from across the country (most are free or suggest a donation). Check the websites of your local genealogical society and library for events near you.
- Boston: The New England Historic Genealogy Society is holding free Wednesdays on Oct. 8 and 15 at its research library.
- Raleigh, NC: The North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources will host a Family History Fair Oct. 25 with classes, vendors and door prizes.
- Gainesville, Fla.: The Alachua County Library District is holding getting started in genealogy seminars at several branches throughout the month.
- Cincinnati: The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County Genealogy and Local History Department will hold an after-hours Genealogy Lock-in Oct. 25, which includes five optional “mini-tech instructional sessions.”
- Covington, Ky.: Classes at the Kenton County Library