TLC has announced the full lineup of starpower on the fourth season of “Who Do You Think You Are?,” which premiers Tuesday, July 23. TLC picked up the series after NBC dropped it last year.
These are the season’s celebrity guests. I added a bit of info on where you might recognize them from and on their ancestry:
- Kelly Clarkson:The first winner of “American Idol” back in 2002, this singer-songwriter from Fort Worth has Greek and Welsh roots. A Clarkson sighting in Sumter County, Ga., in February prompted reports she was filming at the Andersonville National Historic Site.
- Zooey Deschanel: You may know this actress (she’s pictured in the screenshot above) and musician as the quirky title character of “New Girl” on Fox. Her surname comes from her French paternal grandfather; she also has Swiss, Dutch, English and Irish roots.
- Chris O’Donnell: As his parents’ surnames—O’Donnell and Rohs von Brecht—would suggest, this “NCIS: Los Angeles” actor (he also was on the big screen as Robin to batmen Val Kilmer and George Clooney) has Irish and German ancestry.
- Christina Applegate: This “Married … with Children,” and “Samantha Who?” actress was born into the business: Her parents are record company executive Robert W. Applegate and singer and actress Nancy Lee Priddy
- Jim Parsons: The episode featuring this “Big Bang Theory” star (trademark line: “Bazinga!”) is the one I’m most anticipating. BBT is a favorite in our house, and I’d love to see what Parsons is like when he steps out of the role of Sheldon Cooper. The Houston native reportedly has English, Scottish, French and German heritage.
- Cindy Crawford: German, English and French make up the bulk of this supermodel’s ancestry. She was “discovered” by a newspaper photographer as she detasseled corn in her DeKalb, Ill., hometown. Her appearance at the Connecticut State Library in May clued us in that she was filming for WDYTYA?
- Trisha Yearwood: This country singer does it all: She’s also an actress, cookbook author and host of her own cooking show on the Food Network. She was born in Monticello, Ga.
- Chelsea Handler:A comedian, actress and talk show host from Livingston, NJ, Handler has a German Mormon mother and a Jewish father.