Family Tree University is the only program that combines a friendly, accessible style of genealogy instruction—popularized by Family Tree Magazine—with a state-of-the-art online learning environment to make genealogy education rewarding and fun.
Whether you’re a family history newbie or veteran researcher, here are 10 reasons to take a Family Tree University course:
1. Easy-to-follow lessons show you how to find and use genealogy resources. Too often, how-to seminars and articles tell you that resources are available to you, but don’t explain how to actually use them or where to get them.
2. The content is developed by experts who know genealogy and frequently write and teach about their course topics. You benefit from the expertise of someone who’s been there and has experiences to share.
3. Courses are designed specifically for people who do genealogy for fun. Our students are people who, like you, want to get more from their hobby. Family Tree University isn’t for professionals seeking certification (although you will get a “diploma” for each course you complete!).
4. There’s a course for every genealogist. Class topics cover everything from using different types of records to preserving and sharing your research—check out our complete course list. (Don’t see the course you’d most like to take? Email us.)
5. You can go to class in your jammies. There’s no set time you have to show up for class—you can log in at 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning, whatever’s convenient to you. And there’s no one else in the room to see your bedhead or bunny slippers.
6. Connect with other genealogists. Each course has a private message board just for the students and instructor, where you can bounce around ideas and share your challenges with other researchers just like you.
7. You’ll become a better researcher. The time, effort and money you invest in taking a Family Tree University course will pay dividends by teaching you how to trace your ancestors more efficiently, confidently and cost-effectively.
8. See research tools and techniques in action. Some concepts are easier shown than told. Family Tree University courses integrate photos, screen shots and even video demos into the lessons to enhance your learning experience.
9. You can save class materials for future reference. Each lesson and reading assignment is available as a PDF download, so that even after your course session concludes, you can keep all the materials to refer to later.
10. You’ll make research progress. Our classes incorporate exercises that allow you to practice techniques and apply what you’ve learned to your own family history work.