Seeking genealogy news, help understanding your family tree software, essential research advice, or simply the feeling that someone shares the family history journey you’ve embarked on?
All these and more are available from the bloggers on the 2013 list of the Family Tree 40 top genealogy blogs. Congratulations to these dedicated researchers and writers!
To quote Family Tree Magazine‘s contributing editor David A. Fryxell, who wrote about the Family Tree 40 in our May/June 2013 issue (on newsstands and at Family Tree Shop April 30), “Let’s tip our collective hats to those bloggers who stick with it and keep sharing their wit, wisdom and family history finds with us … In making this year’s selections, we paid particular attention to that stick-to-itiveness standard.” And “We love blogs packed with information, but we also adore those brimming with the blogger’s personality.”
You can read about the Family Tree 40 and click through to each blog from FamilyTreeMagazine.com. They’re arranged into these categories:
- Good advice (genealogy tips and how-tos)
- Tech support (reviews and instructions for genealogy technology)
- Gravestone matters (tombstone photos, cemetery research tips)
- Heritage help (researching ancestors of specific ethnicities and national backgrounds)
- Shop talk (genealogy news and new products)
- Story time (the bloggers’ personal research and family history)
We also encourage genealogists to look beyond our list to find genealogy blogs that might help answer their research questions, illuminate an ancestral hometown, or bring entertainment to a ho-hum day. The combo of research needs and blog-reading preferences is different for every genealogist, and we all can be thankful that topics and writing styles in the genealogy blogging community are just as varied.
Here are a few ways to find genealogy blogs you’ll love:
- Browse the blog directory at Geneabloggers.
- Run a Google Blog Search on topics of interest to you.
- Check the blogrolls of blogs you already read.
- Ask your genealogy buddies about their favorite blogs.
As the main blogger here at the Genealogy Insider blog, I know how hard it can be to find the inspiration—and the time—to put up a post every day or several times a week. I give personal props to the Family Tree 40 and all the genealogy bloggers out there. Thanks for the work you do!