Do you have ancestors from the Greater Cincinnati area? So do some of us at Family Tree Magazine. Those who attend this week’s National Genealogical Society Conference can visit our booth (#432) to swap ancestor resources, but if you can’t get here, these are some of our favorite local genealogy resources you can access from home:
- Cincinnati Birth and Death Records, 1865-1912
Search local births and deaths and view digitized copies of the records.
- Cincinnati History Library and Archives
Search an index to 21 local history resources, search online photos, and learn about the librarys resources.
- German Catholic Cemetery Society
Search a burial index to local cemeteries belonging to the society.
- Hamilton County, Ohio, Cemeteries
With links to burial indexes where applicable.
- Hamilton County Genealogical Society Indexes
Indexes cover marriages and deaths in several local papers, both English- and German-language.
- Hamilton County Probate Court Archive Search
Access digitized images of old estates, wills guardianships, vital registration, naturalizations and more. We wrote more about what records are on this site and how to use it here.
- Northern Kentucky Genealogy Index
This library just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati lets you search names in Northern Kentucky records including cemetery, church, city directory, court and more.
- Northern Kentucky Newspaper Index
Search the librarys index to names in 11 local papers.
- Photos of German Cincinnati
Get a sense of the areas German heritage.
- Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County Virtual Library
Find city directories, Sanborn Fire insurance maps and other digitized resources. Learn about the library’s Genealogy and Local History department here.
- University of Cincinnati Archives and Rare Books Library
Online birth and death records, indexes to wills and naturalizations, finding aids for library records, local German history and more.
Subscription site Ancestry.com has Ohio death records and Kentucky birth, marriage and death records; and the free FamilySearch.org has Ohio deaths, Kentucky probate records (unindexed) and Kentucky vital records indexes.
Check the May/June 2012 issue of Family Tree Magazine for our Cincinnati City Guide, which has even more resources and tips for helping you find ancestors in the Queen City.