So youve gathered a few generations worth of names and dates, and now you want to display your family tree on your wall.
Nowadays you have more options than everfrom free to pricey and do-it-yourself to full-servicefor creating a decorative family tree poster. Here are some that weve come across:
- Family networking site Geni announced yesterday that you can turn your Geni tree into a decorative family tree poster you can customize and order on archival photo paper for $29.99 (a framed one costs $119.99). Learn more on the Geni blog.
- Most genealogy software programs, including RootsMagic, Legacy Family Tree and Family Tree Maker, will let you create a family tree chart to hang on the wall. Progeny Genealogy makes add-on “charting companion” software you can use to enhance the charting capabilities of several desktop family tree programs.
- If you have a family tree on Ancestry.com, you can import the information into MyCanvas and design and print a chart for free, or order one on nice paper in a variety of sizes. (From your tree on Ancestry.com, click the Publish button in the navigation bar at the top of the page.)
- Generation Maps new Family ChARTist service lets you create a decorative tree and print a free 8.5×11 version at home, or order professionally printed larger sizes.
- A number of companies will print a decorative family tree for you, using your genealogy data and photos if you have them. You can choose from a range of designs and framing/mounting options. See our list of family tree printers at FamilyTreeMagazine.com.
- You can buy decorative charts to fill out by hand from several vendors, including Fun Stuff for Genealogists and the Family History Store. Or type free decorative family tree chart into Google for blank trees you can download and print. Our Family Tree VIP members receive a printable decorative tree as part of their exclusive Family Tree Toolkit.