Nows the time to be thinking about this summers family reunion. You can glean a few tips from CNNs article about holding reunions during tough times.
The March 2008 Family Tree Magazine (now mailing to subscribers) offers a special genealogy-on-a-budget section with professional researcher Maureen A. Taylors how-tos for genealogy travel on a shoestring. Here’s a sneak preview:
- Work the web ahead of time to estimate expenses and set a budget (use our online travel budget worksheet).
- Explore transportation, hotel and rental car options using a metasearch engine such as Farecast or Kayak, which search several travel sites at once. (Study the fine print for any added fees, though.)
- Instead of putting up your whole group in a hotel, consider renting a residence through a site such as Cyberrentals.
- Try to use public transportation instead of renting a car, especially in big cities. Ask your hotel or the visitors bureau Web site for information.
- Scout out restaurants ahead of time and shop for gift certificates priced below face value at Restaurants.com (note any restrictions on usage) and eBay.