Clear your calendars and set your DVRs tomorrow night (Sept. 23) to watch the premiere of “Finding Your Roots With Henry Louis Gates, Jr.” at 8 p.m. Eastern on PBS.
In this series, Harvard African-American history professor, author and documentary filmmaker Henry Louis Gates escorts well-known Americans on a journey into their family history. Each episode features three guests whose family histories share ” an intimate, sometimes hidden link.”
Tomorrow’s premiere reveals the family histories of author Stephen King and actors Gloria Reuben and Courtney B. Vance. Here’s a quick preview:
Other guests on this season’s 10 episodes include
- actors Ben Affleck, Anna Deavere Smith, Khandi Alexander, Angela Basset, Tina Fey and Sally Field
- journalists Anderson Cooper and George Stephanopolous
- authors Deepak Chokra and David Sedaris
- athletes Billie Jean King (tennis), Derek Jeter (baseball) and Rebecca Lobo (basketball)
- musicians Nas, Carole King and Sting
- filmmaker Ken Burns
- civil rights activist Benjamin Todd Jealous
- chefs Aaron Sanchez, Ming Tsai and Tom Colicchio
- presidential adviser Valerie B. Jarrett
- playwright Tony Kushner
- civil rights lawyer Alan Dershowitz
- Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick
On the Finding Your Roots website, you can read profiles of the show’s guests; read blogs by Gates and the show’s researchers and producers; submit stories from your family history research (as well as reading others’ stories); and watch full episodes from Season 1.
To tide you over until tomorrow, see how Henry Louis Gates Jr. answered Family Tree Magazine‘s inquisitive “5 Questions” reporter.