On the tenth day of Christmas, my genea-Santa gave to me … a Family Tree University Independent Study course download.
You can give the gift of genealogy learning, even if it’s too late for shipping by Christmas. FTU Independent Study downloads include the lessons, recommended reading, resource lists and other materials from Family Tree University classes.
Nearly 20 courses are available, including Tracing Immigrants, which helps you find important clues for tracking ancestors in their homelands. In the first lesson of this course, you’ll learn what key facts that will help you start tracing ancestors overseas:
- The immigrant’s name (before and after immigration—many immigrants Americanized their names once they got here)
- Date of immigration
- Port of entry
- Port of departure
- Town or village immigrant came from
- Place immigrant settled in the United States
- Names of siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins
- Religion (may give clues to parish back home)
- Native language