Not sure if a DNA test can help with your genealogy research? Need help interpreting your autosomal, Y-DNA or mtDNA test results? Turn to these resources for the answers you need as you review your data from companies such as AncestryDNA.
Genetic Genealogy Websites
- Cyndi’s List: Genetics, DNA and Family Health: Collection of genetic genealogy websites.
- Cyndi’s List: Surname DNA Studies and Projects: Collection of links to surname studies and other DNA projects.
- DNA Ancestor Communities: A message board for DNA test customers.
- DNAeXplained—Genetic Genealogy: Roberta Estes’s informative blog about how to interpret DNA results.
- Genealem’s Genetic Genealogy: Emily Aulicino shares genetic genealogy news and books.
- The Genetic Genealogist: A blog from genetic genealogy expert Blaine T. Bettinger about using DNA testing in genealogy research and the latest developments in the field.
- International Society of Genetic Genealogy: A non-profit organization dedicated to incorporating genetics into genealogy. The useful wiki sponsored by the society is a great resource.
- Kitty Cooper’s Blog: Musing on Genealogy, Genetics, and Gardening: Expert Kitty Cooper shares news and how-to’s in her blog.
- Segment-ology: Blog dedicated to DNA triangulation, chromosome mapping and other DNA and segment topics.
- Through the Trees: Shannon Christmas’s collection of DNA deals, plus information about his consulting services.
- Your DNA Guide: DNA consultant Diahan Southard shares genetic genealogy tips and how-to’s.
DNA Testing Company Blogs
Follow these blogs for updates about each testing service, plus details on sales and real-life stories from other users:
Genetic Genealogy Books
- The Adoptee’s Guide to DNA Testing by Tamar Weinberg (Family Tree Books)
- Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic Project by Spencer Wells (National Geographic)
- DNA & Genealogy by Colleen Fitzpatrick (Rice Book Press)
- DNA and Tradition: The Genetic Link to the Ancient Hebrews by Yaakov Kleiman (Devora Publishing)
- DNA USA: A Genetic Portrait of America by Bryan Sykes (Liveright)
- The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy by Blaine T. Bettinger (Family Tree Books)
- Genetic Genealogy in Practice by Blaine T. Bettinger and Debbie Parker Wayne (National Genealogical Society)
- Saxons, Vikings, and Celts: The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland by Bryan Sykes (W.W. Norton & Co.)
- The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes (W.W. Norton & Co.)
- The Stranger in My Genes: A Memoir by Bill Griffeth (New England Historic Genealogical Society)
- Trace Your Roots With DNA by Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak and Ann Turner (Rodale)