Q: What can I access with my Family Tree account?
Your Family Tree Account will give you access to update your personal information, mailing address, credit card information, view your purchase history, update your email preferences, access your digital products and more. From any page on this site, sign in by using your username and password.
These digital products are available via your account dashboard.
- eBooks come in PDF format and are accessible through the My Downloadable Products section of your account available on the left side.
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
- *PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click “Save”
- Videos come in MP4 format and are accessible through the My Downloadable Products section of your account.
- Click the link under the Title of your download to open or play your video file. You may also right-click and choose to Save the file to your computer.
- Large videos files may take extra time to fully download.
- Your Family Tree University Courses are viewable online and can be accessed through the My Courses section of your account.
- Click Start Watching next to your selected title
- *First time users will be required to verify their email address and first and last name.
Q: How quickly can I access my digital products?
Digital products are provided immediately upon purchase in your Family Tree account. You have unlimited lifetime access to your products, and can view/download your products.
Q: What if I forget the username and/or password I created?
Visit FamilyTreeMagazine.com and click on login. This will prompt a screen to login and also give you a link to Forgot Password. You will then be prompted to provide your username and a new password will be e-mailed to you. Return to the Login page and login with your new password. Then you can click on MyAccount and change your password to one you’ll remember more easily.
Q: How can I change my password, address or other Premium account information?
- Log into your account by clicking the login button of FamilyTreeMagazine.com and enter your username and password.
- To change your mailing or e-mail address, click Edit Profile Information.
- To change your password, click the Change Password Link at the top of the page. You’ll need to enter your current password. If you don’t remember it, log out by clicking the Logout button at the top right of FamilyTreeMagazine.com, then take the steps described in the above question.
- To view your subscription information, look under Purchase Description and click the product name (such as “Annual Premium Membership”). You’ll see details including the purchase date and subscription end date. If you’d like to turn off the auto-renewal option, click the Cancel Auto-Renew button. (Accounts that don’t auto-renew won’t have this button.)
Q: Where do I find the Family Tree Premium articles I’m supposed to receive access to?
To find the Family Tree Premium articles, go to FamilyTreeMagazine.com. Content accessible only to Premium members is marked with a lock icon. If you’re not logged in, click the Login button in the upper right corner and enter your username and password. When logged in, you will be able to view the full text of all articles.
Q: How do I access my course/workshop/webinar?
To reach your course/workshop/webinar:
- Log in at FamilyTreeMagazine.com with the email and password you used to register for the course, workshop or webinar.
- In My Courses, you should see your purchased course/webinar/workshop. Click on the link (to the right of the name) and this will take you to your University dashboard.
If nothing happens, disable your pop-up blocker and try again.
- From there, you can access the course/workshop/webinar content.
- Additional Step for Webinars: The registration link will be contained within the course materials. Important: Please register early with GotoWebinar to ensure you’re comfortable with the set-up and everything works with your system.
Had to miss the webinar? You can still experience it in full! We will upload the recording and slides to the course materials page within 2-3 business days after the event. Check back in your courses after that time to access the video and download the files.
If you have any questions or are having trouble accessing your course/workshop/webinars, please email email@example.com.
Q: How can I use my eBook on my portable device?
Purchasing an eBook in PDF format allows you to read your content on multiple devices, including your computer, Kindle, Nook, iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, or any other device compatible with the PDF file format type.
Below are some helpful tips on how you can transfer your eBook to your portable device. Note: These instructions are guidelines only. For the most complete instructions, please refer to your owner’s manual or the manufacturer’s website.
Transferring PDF Files via USB for KINDLE
- Download the PDF file to your computer that you wish to transfer to your Kindle.
- You will need a mini-USB cable to connect your Kindle to a computer.
- Plug the larger end of the USB Cable into an available USB port or a powered USB hub connected to your computer.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable to the USB port located on the bottom of your Kindle.
- Once connected via USB, your Kindle will appear as a removable storage device, just like a thumb-drive or external hard drive.
- For Windows users this is typically in the Computer or My Computer menu.
- For MAC users the Kindle will appear on the Desktop.
- Open the Kindle drive. You will see several folders inside, one of which will be named “Documents.”
- Move your downloaded PDF by dragging and dropping it into the Documents folder.
- Then eject your Kindle and unplug the USB cable.
- Your PDF will appear on the Homescreen of your Kindle.
For more information, visit: http://www.kindle.com/support
Transferring PDF Files via USB for NOOK, NOOK COLOR, & NOOK 1st ED.
- Using the microUSB cable provided with your Nook, connect your Nook to your computer.
- When you connect your Nook to your personal computer, your Nook will appear as a new removable drive on your personal computer.
- Drag the files you want to transfer onto this drive.
- To organize the files, open the Nook drive. You’ll see several folders on your Nook. Move your personal files in the My Files folder.
- Place the PDF file into the Documents folder.
- When you have finished, eject the Nook drive from your personal computer.
- Disconnect the Nook microUSB cable.
- To view the PDF, press the Quick Nav Button on your Nook and tap on Library.
- Open the drop down menu located on the upper left-hand side.
- Tap on My Files
NOTE: Nook: 1st Edition owners, please visit http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook1-support-beyond-ebooks/379002704/.
Q: What programs can I use to play my video files?
There are a number of video players to choose from, but here are some recommendations for common free video players. Click a link below to learn more about or download a video player.
- M4V video files: VLC Media Player, QuickTime Player
- MP4 video files: VLC Media Player, QuickTime Player
- WMV video files: Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player
Q: How can I import my video into iTunes?
First, make sure Apple iTunes is installed on your computer.
- Download the video file to a place on your computer where you can easily find it.
- Start iTunes.
- Under the File menu, select Add File to Library…
- Locate the folder where you downloaded the video file, click on the video file to select it, then click Open.
- iTunes will copy the file into your iTunes library. This may take a minute or so. NOTE: iTunes actually makes a copy of your video file and store it in its own library. If you want to save space on your computer, you may delete the original file that you downloaded. The full video will remain within iTunes and you may access it there from then on.
- You will now find your video in the Movies section within iTunes.
- To play the movie, just click on the Movies section, then double-click on the video you want to play. The video will begin playing automatically.
- Use the controls at the top of the page to adjust the volume, pause, fast-forward, or rewind. If you put your cursor over the video as it is playing, the same controls also appear below the video. IMPORTANT: To close the video and get back to your list, put the cursor over the video. A white X will appear in the upper-right corner. Click this to close the video.
The registration link will be contained within the course materials. Important: Please register early with GotoWebinar to ensure you’re comfortable with the set-up.