Listen to this Family Tree Magazine Podcast episode here:
In this episode:
News from the Blogosphere with Genealogy Insider Diane Haddad
You can get the webinar recording for download at Family Tree Shop.
There are three big players in online genealogy records: Ancestry, FindMyPast, and MyHeritage. Just how do they measure up to each other – and to your research needs?
In today’s Top Tips segment, Lisa Louise Cooke invites Family Tree Magazine Contributing Editor Sunny Morton back to the show to share what she learned when she dug into all three of them for her article that appears in the March/April 2016 issue of the magazine.
101 Best Websites
- US Genealogy: 1940 census
- Regional City and State: PA: Philadelphia Bank Immigrant Passage Records, 1890-1949
- Military: Index of Revolutionary War Pensioners at americanancestor.org, and full records available at Fold3.com
- Ethnic records: Brandenburg, Prussia Emigration Records
Free Samples that appears in the March / April 2016 issue of Family Tree Magazine.
Family Tree University Crash Course
- Importance of having an idea of what you want in a family website before you choose a platform, including evaluating a free site or a top level domain.
- Run a small trial site before investing a lot of time and effort, to get to know the features, etc.
- A few tips on what to include on your family website (photos, stories, family trees, history, etc.)
How to Make a Free Family Website next runs in June!
From the Publisher’s Desk with Allison Dolan
3 Must-See Sessions from the Winter Virtual Conference. These sessions teach you how to maximize technology in your genealogy work.
- Dealing With Your DNA Matches with Kerry Scott
- Beyond Family Tree Maker with Lisa Louise Cooke
- Spreadsheet Secrets to Organize Your Genealogy with Shannon Combs-Bennett
All sessions from the Virtual Conference will be available from Family Tree Shop by April 1, 2016. The Fall Virtual Conference will take place September 16-18, 2016. Register at Family Tree University (coming soon!)