As you know from the way an afternoon slips away when you’re doing genealogy research, time really does fly when you’re having fun. So too it is with our annual 101 Best Websites compilation: It’s hard to believe this is our 13th such list. Fortunately, we’re not triskaidekaphobic—we embrace this compilation as a “lucky 13th.” In fact, to celebrate, we’ve come up with 13 categories for this year’s list.
Our “lucky 13” lineup includes both free and paid websites. As usual, we’ve indicated with a $ symbol those that require payment to access the core content or to access the features we’ve highlighted in our description of the site. In most cases, websites that are free except for paid premium services don’t carry the $ sign. We think this listing of stellar sites will prove lucky for your genealogy research.
Click on a category name below to see the list of websites in that category.
- Best Big Genealogy Websites
- Best Websites to Find and Share Family Tree Data Online
- Best Old Map and Photo Websites for Genealogy
- Best Websites for Genealogy in the USA
- Best Websites for Genealogy in New England and the Eastern United States
- Best Websites for Midwestern US Genealogy
- Best Websites for Western US Genealogy
- Best Websites for Genealogy in Canada
- Best Websites for UK and Irish Genealogy
- Best Websites for Genealogy in Europe
- Best Websites for Genealogy Research in Military Records
- Best Online Genealogy Tools
- Best Websites for Getting Genealogy News
Got comments on this year’s 101 Best Websites for genealogy list, or a nomination for next year’s list? Email us!
More genealogy resources from Family Tree Magazine:
For Family Tree Magazine Plus members
Available in Family Tree Shop
From the September 2012 Family Tree Magazine.