For further reading on courtship and marriage customs in America, see the following books. For courtship and marriage customs of specific ethnic groups, look for books that discuss that group’s customs and folkways, such as Italian-American Folklore by Frances M. Malpezzi and William M. Clements (August House).
- Albion’s Seed: Four British Folkways in America by David Hackett Fischer (Oxford University Press)
- Bundling: Its Origin, Progress and Decline in America by Henry Reed Stiles (Chapman Billies)
- From Front Porch to Back Seat: Courtship in Twentieth-Century America by Beth L. Bailey (Johns Hopkins University Press)
- Hands and Hearts: A History of Courtship in America by Ellen K. Rothman (Harvard University Press)
- Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America by John D’Emilio and Estelle B. Freedman (University of Chicago Press)