Basic Phrases for Eastern European Languages
Cyndi’s List—Eastern Europe
Links to WorldGenWeb pages and mailing lists for Eastern European countries and regions.
Free genealogy translations.
Family Search Research Helps
Click on Search and Research Helps to find several guides relevant to Eastern European genealogy (also available from your local Family History Center):
- German Genealogical Word List
- Latin Genealogical Word List
- Hamburg Passenger Lists Resource Guide
- Handwriting Guide: German Gothic
Genealogy Resources on the Internet: Eastern European Resources
Web sites and mailing lists.
Hamburg Link to Your Roots
Digitized records of Hamburg emigrants.
JewishGen Shtetl Seeker
Searches for and maps Eastern European towns.
Croatian, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian and Serbian cooking.
Repositories of Primary Sources: Europe
University of Toronto Library’s Petro Jacyk Resource Centre
Use the Fonts section to view and download Cyrillic fonts and alphabets. This site also has links for each country.
Translation, news, culture, history and government.
- Where Once We Walked: A Guide to the Jewish Communities Destroyed in the Holocaust by Gary Mokotoff and Sally Amdur Sack (Avotaynu, $69)
- Where Once We Walked Companion: A Guide to the Communities Surrounding Central and Eastern European Towns by Gary Mokotoff (Avotaynu, $25.95)
- Following the Paper Trail: A Multilingual Translation Guide by Jonathan D. Shea and William F. Hoffman (Avotaynu, $29), with alphabets, terminology and records examples in Czech, Hungarian, and Romanian.
- Historical Atlas of East Central Europe by Paul Robert Magocsi (University of Washington Press, revised edition due out this spring)
- In Search of Your European Roots: A Complete Guide to Tracing Your Ancestors in Every County in Europe by Angus Baxter (Genealogical Publishing Co., $18.95)
- Overcoming Obstacles to Eastern European Research by Serah Fleury Allen (Closson Press, out of print; copies available from Frontier Press, $10, 800-772-7559 or
- Our Slavic Fellow-Citizens by Emily G. Balch (Arno Press, $29.95)
East European Genealogical Society
R3C 4A7 Canada
Publishes East European Genealogist. Site has a database that’s searchable by surname, village and district.
Federation of East European Family History Societies
Salt Lake City, UT 84151
Besides pages for each society and resource guides, this must-visit site contains a searchable database of nearly 970,000 Central and Eastern European surnames.
Bookstores & Publishers
4687 Falaise Drive
Victoria, British Columbia
V8Y 1B4 Canada
Sells maps and atlases of Central and Eastern Europe.