• Coming to America: A History of Immigration and Ethnicity in American Life by Roger Daniels (HarperCollins, $17)
• A Genealogist’s Guide to Discovering Your Immigrant & Ethnic Ancestors by Sharon DeBartolo Carmack (Betterway Books, $18.99)
• Ellis Island and the Peopling of America by Virginia Yans-McLaughlin and Marjorie Lightman (New Press, $19.95)
• Ellis Island Interviews: In Their Own Words by Peter Morton Coan (Checkmark, $16.95)
• Guide to Naturalization Records of the United States by Christina K. Schaefer (Genealogical Publishing Co., $25)
• Immigrant and Passenger Arrivals: A Select Catalog of the National Archives Microfilm Publications, second edition (National Archives Trust Fund Board, $3.50; also online at )
• Passenger and Immigration Lists Index: A Guide to Published Arrival Records of about 500,000 Passengers who Came to the United States and Canada in the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries by P. William Filby (multi-volume reference, available in libraries)
• Ships of Our Ancestors by Michael J. Anuta (Genealogical Publishing Co., $34.95)
• The Ellis Island Immigrant Cookbook by Tom Bernardin (Tom Bernardin, $17.95)
• They Became Americans: Finding Naturalization Records and Ethnic Origins by Loretto Dennis Szucs (Ancestry, $19.95)
• They Came in Ships: A Guide to Finding Your Immigrant Ancestor’s Ship, revised edition, by John Philip Colletta (Ancestry, $9.95)
• Family Archives: Passenger and Immigration Lists Index: 2000 Edition, 1500s-1900s (Family Tree Maker CD #354, $59.99, order from 800-567-2730 or www.familytreemaker.com/354facd.html).
• Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild
Volunteer project transcribing ship passenger lists.
Order prints of your ancestor’s ship.
• Immigration and Ships Passenger Lists Research Guide
• Cyndi’s List: Ships and Passenger Lists
Excellent starting point.