• American Milestone Documents
• Browse by Historical Era
• Contact Footnote
• Content listing
• Content: new and updated
• Footnote Blog
• Footnote on Facebook
• Footnote Pages
• Footnote Site Tour
• Free Records on Footnote
• Interactive Vietnam Veterans Memorial
• Search Tips
• Site Map
• OR: Type into any search box between two words to find records associated with either term, such as Hellman OR Hullmer.
• NOT: Type into any search box to exclude a term from your search,
such as Ohio NOT Cuyahoga.
• *: Use the asterisk as a wildcard to replace any number of characters in a search term. H*nders finds Handers, Hernders and Hearnders.
To limit your search to Footnote Pages, click the arrow by Pages on the top navigation bar. Select the Search option.
Start from the site map
• The site map is a tiny link in Footnote’s Web site footer menu, but it’s a great place to start your search. Here, Footnote has links to content grouped by category (such as For Genealogists, African-American Records, Military Records), so you can search, for example, all genealogical records or all historical records at once. Scroll down the site map page and click a collection to search it. Matches are organized by record collection.
• To find content related to a particular state, go to the site map and scroll down, or formulate a URL like this, replacing Alabama with the state you want: <go.footnote.com/records/state_alabama>.
Go to your Gallery page and create a new collection by dropping images onto the dashed box in the upper-left corner of the page. If you have a lot of images to add, hover over one and check the “Select” button in the bubble that appears.
If you’re looking at a record in the Footnote Viewer and you want to quickly browse records grouped with that one, click on the “breadcrumb trail” just above the filmstrip.
Click the Watch button in the top right corner of a search results screen or record view. To repeat the search or retrieve the record, click My Account, then Manage Watch List.