• Name and Word Spellings
Description of handwriting mistakes and misspellings.
• Examples of Old Handwriting
Shows letters found in 17th-century documents.
• Medieval Paleography
Online course from England’s Leicester University on the study of written documents from the Middle Ages.
• Old English Mailing List
A mailing list for anyone who is deciphering old English documents. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
• Old Handwriting Examples
References names and words in various scripts.
• Reading Census Handwriting
• Tips on Reading Old Handwriting
• Martha Ballard’s Diary
Online display of the late 18th- and early 19th-century diary featured in the book A Midwife’s Tale; features tutorials on reading handwriting and examples.
• Deciphering Old Handwriting
Examine examples and try your hand at a few samples.
• The Fraktur Tradition
Learn more about Fraktur and look at a few examples. Click on Collections, then Fraktur.
• History of Handwriting
Interesting overview of the history of handwriting from the Parker Pen Co.
• Early English Handwriting
Try your hand at reading examples from 1547 to 1612.
Find out more about learning disabilities and handwriting.
• Handwriting in America: A Cultural History by Tamara Plakins Thornton (Yale University Press, $16.95)
• Handwriting of American Records for 300 Years by E. Kay Kirkham, (Everton Publishers, $11)
• Handwriting of the 20th Century by Rosemary Sassoon (Routledge, $27.99)
• Pen, Ink, & Evidence: A Study of Writing and Writing Materials for the Penman, Collector, and Document Detective by Joe Nickell (Oak Knoll Press, $49.95)
• Reading Early American Handwriting by Kip Sperry (Genealogical Publishing Co., $29.99)
• “Read It Right” in Unpuzzling Your Past by Emily Croom (Betterway Books, $14.99)
• Understanding Colonial Handwriting by Harriet Stryker-Rodda (Genealogical Publishing Co., $4.50)