c. Maybe or maybe not
2. True or false? The photographer of this image used a flash.
3. Which item in this room might appear in a probate file’s estate inventory? (Choose all that apply.)
a. the convex framed mirror to the right of the door
b. the poster above the man’s head
c. the wicker rocking chair
4. The floor covering on the right side of this image is
a. a rug
b. wood parquet
5. What item of Russell’s clothing is associated with his roots as a frontiersman?
a. his heavy sweater
b. his jeans
c. his collarless work shirt
2. True: Starting in the late 1800s, a number of inventors obtained patents for artificial lighting for photography. The centralized lighting on this couple shows that the photographer used “flash” photography, possibly a magnesium light.
3. a and c: Researching this family’s probate records may uncover a list of household items such as the Colonial revival-style mirror and the sturdy wicker rocker.
4. c: Created in the mid 1850s from linseed oil, pine rosin and wood powder, durable linoleum flooring was initially available in solid colors. By the early 1880s, it came in a variety of patterns.
5. b: German immigrant Levi Strauss and Reno, Nev., tailor Jacob Davis patented riveted jeans in 1873. The sturdy trousers were a hit with Western cowboys, lumberjacks and railroad workers.