Living Relatives

By Family Tree Editors Premium



<> Check this private investigator referral Web site that lists information on licensing and associations for each state.

National VETS Archives

<> Database of more than 12,000 veterans reunions, as well as a search service to help locate military buddies.


<> Search through listings from phone books, universities, the military, missing persons sites, e-mail directories and more, from all over the world.

<> Links to free searches in several categories, such as missing persons, military, business and Social Security Death Index. Also performs paid searches.

Search Systems

<> Access more than 1,100 public records databases across the United States and Canada with this site’s list of links, categorized by state.

Telephone Directories on the Web

<> Sometimes finding someone can be as simple as looking the name up in a telephone book. This site indexes online telephone directories, yellow pages, e-mail directories and fax listings covering more than 150 countries. Keep in mind that the various telephone directories don’t share the same database; therefore, search results will vary.

<> Use national directory assistance online. You can look for people by name, address or e-mail. Also does a search of schools and colleges.


Get the Facts on Anyone by Dennis King (International Data Group Co.)

How to Locate Anyone Who is or Has Been in the Military, 8th edition by Richard S. Johnson (MIE Publishing)

International Vital Records Handbook by Thomas J. Kemp (Genealogical Publishing Co., out of print)

Locating Lost Family Members & Friends by Kathleen W. Hinckley (Betterway Books)

The MVR Book: Motor Services Guide edited by Michael L Sankey (BRB Publications) Outlines access to motor vehicle records for each state.

The SourceBook of Local Court and County Record Retrievers edited by Micheal L. Sankey (BRB Publications)

The Ultimate Search Book 2000 edition by Lori Carangelo (Access Press)


Write to these addresses with two letters — one with your request and one to be forwarded.

Social Security Administration

Office of Public Inquiries Room 4-C-5 Annex 6401 Security Blvd. Baltimore, MD 21235 (800) 772-1213 <>

VA Records Processing Center

Box 5020 St. Louis, MO (800) 827-1000 Military inquiries only; call to locate a regional Veterans Affairs office or visit < DIVISION=ALL> to browse offices by state.

National Personnel Records Center

Civilian Personnel Records 111 Winnebago St. St. Louis, MO 63118 Military Personnel Records 9700 Page Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63132 <> You may write to request records on military personnel or federal employees. Visit the Web site for instructions.

Internal Revenue Service Center

Kansas City, MO 64999 Include the Social Security number of the missing person with your request.
From the Winter 2001 issue of Family Tree Magazine