• Town clerks began recording vital records in 1650.
• Military census exists for 1917.
• Probate, court and cemetery records are located at the Connecticut State Library.
• The Maine Old Cemetery Association is indexing cemetery transcripts.
• Probate records relating to wills, adoptions and guardianships exist on the county level.
• Only five towns (Biddeford, Kittery, Kennebunkport, York and Wells) have vital records from the 17th century.
• Early vital records (pre-1850) have been published for most towns.
• The earliest Massachusetts newspaper was published in 1704.
• The city of Boston neglected to record birth records from 1800 to 1849.
• County system first established in 1769.
• Frontier conditions existed into the 19th century with a highly mobile population.