• American Memory Project
<memory.loc.gov>: Search by collection or the entire group of 7 million digitized records.
• Getty Research Institute
<www.getty.edu/research/library>: The institute developed The Art and Architecture Thesaurus and The Union List of Artists’ Names. You can search its databases through an online catalog.
• Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
<www.loc.gov/rr/print>: About half of the division’s holdings are accessible through its online catalog.
• Making of America
<moa.umdl.umich.edu>: Search online digitized books and journals from the antebellum period through Reconstruction.
• National Portrait Gallery
<www.npg.si.edu>: Search by subject of the painting and then look for biographical data. You can specify the artistic medium you’re looking for — painting, engraving, caricature and others.
<www.otherdays.com>: Use this site’s online library of digitized photographs from the Lawrence Collection (1870 to 1910) or its prints and drawings galleries to find scenes of Ireland.
On the Bookshelf
• The Ancestry Family Historian’s Address Book by Juliana Szucs Smith (Ancestry)
• The Art of Family: Genealogical Artifacts in New England edited by D. Brenton Simons and Peter Benes (New England Historic Genealogical Society)
• Finding Images Online: Online User’s Guide to Image Searching in Cyberspace by Paula Berinstein, edited by Susan E. Feldman (Pemberton Press)
• Painting and Portrait Making in the American Northeast (Boston University Scholarly Publications)
Organizations & Archives
• American Antiquarian Society
185 Salisbury St. Worcester, MA 01609 (508) 755-5221
<www.americanantiquarian.org>: The society has strong collections of 18th- and 19th-century engravings, which you can search online. Researchers must apply to use the collections.
• The New York Public Library
Print Collection Humanities and Social Sciences Library Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street New York, NY 10018 (212) 930-0817
<www.nypl.org/research/chss/spe/art/print/print.html>: Learn about the history of printing and search the library’s collection.
• Allen County Public Library
900 Webster St. Box 2270 Fort Wayne, IN 46801 (260) 421-1200
Like most large research libraries, Allen County Public Library has a special department devoted to art research.
• American Printing History Association
Box 4922 Grand Central Station New York, NY 10163
From the February 2003 issue of Family Tree Magazine.