• Price: $29.99 for the program with a two-week subscription to Ancestry.com US Deluxe collection; editions with longer Ancestry.com access range from $39.99 to $99.99.
• Manufacturer: Ancestry.com, (800) 262-3787, <familytreemaker.com>
• System requirements: Windows XP or newer
• Demo/trial version: none
• Biggest draws: Wall charts, searching Ancestry.com
• Drawbacks: Printed reports, slow program launch
Ease of use
Charts and multimedia
Using Ancestry.com’s MyCanvas online service, you can create family history books, photo books, posters and calendars. First, you have to upload your family tree to Ancestry.com. Creating a book is still an excruciatingly slow process. You can print your own book for free or have it professionally printed and bound ($34.95 for 20 pages).
To publish your family tree on Ancestry.com, you upload your Family Tree Maker file to an Ancestry Member Tree. Now you also can download your member tree into Family Tree Maker, along with attached files and photos. Although the program offers HTML reports, you can’t create a hyperlinked report suitable for your own website.
Hover over a leaf to see the number of matches in source records and trees. Then click the link to view the matches on Ancestry.com. You can easily merge information from a record into your family tree. Family Tree Maker adds a fact, links it to the record image (if there is one) and creates a source citation. You also can merge information from family trees on Ancestry.com, though the source citation doesn’t include the name of the tree’s owner.