Most surnames, especially common ones, already have an established DNA surname project. But if your surname is rare, it’s possible that you won’t find a surname project. The following books and websites contain information about starting and running your own surname project.
- Worldfamilies.net: Request a Project or a Project Site
- Ancestry.com DNA Groups
- DNA Heritage: Surname Projects
- Family Tree DNA: Surname & Geographical Projects
Running your project and recruiting participants
- Worldfamilies.net: Project Administrator’s Guide
- International Society of Genetic Genealogy: Administrator Tools and Resources
- Trace Your Roots with DNA by Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak and Ann Turner (Rodale)
Need guidance on using DNA testing as part of your genealogy research? See our “Complete Guide to Genetic Genealogy” in the December 2009 Family Tree Magazine.