State Archive Directory, Nebraska-Wyoming

By Rick Crume Premium

Of course, the best way to support state libraries is to use them. To help you track which ones have resources relevant to your research, we’ve compiled this guide to statewide repositories and their treasures. Our list covers state archives, libraries and historical societies that have important genealogical holdings — 86 in all, arranged from Alabama to Wyoming. Each listing highlights that repository’s key resources for long-distance research, including interlibrary loan programs, online databases and reference services. Be sure to visit the Web sites for more details.

Nebraska State Historical Society

1500 R St., Lincoln, NE 68501, (402) 471-4784 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: You may borrow up to two rolls of microfilmed newspapers at a time. The fee is $5 per roll for residents and society members and $8 for others.
  • Reference services: Staff will check a newspaper for a birth, marriage or death. Nebraskans pay $7 per search; nonresidents pay $15. Submit your request by mail. Fees include the cost of two photocopies.

Nevada State Library and Archives

100 N. Stewart St., Carson City, NV 89701, (775) 684-3360 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The library’s newspapers may be borrowed.
  • Online databases: You’ll find a Carson Appeal Newspaper Index for 1865-1866,1879-1880, 1881 and 1885-1886, as well as an index to obituaries in the Nevada Appeal for 1996 to the present.
  • Reference services: The staff responds to reference requests submitted by phone, fax, mail or e-mail. Fewer than 30 photocopies are free; additional photocopies are 10 cents per page.

New Hampshire Division of Records Management and Archives

71 S. Fruit St., Concord, NH 03301, (603) 271-2236 <>

  • Reference services: Requests are accepted by mail or phone.

New Hampshire Historical Society

30 Park St., Concord, NH 03301,(603)228-6688 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The society charges $7 for one roll of microfilmed newspapers, plus $4 for each additional roll with a limit of six.
  • Reference services: Volunteers conduct up to 15 minutes of free research in response to mail inquiries. Research by professional staff costs $20 an hour, plus $5 for mailing or faxing and 25 cents per page for photocopies.

New Hampshire State Library

20 Park St., Concord, NH 03301, (603) 271-2144 <>

  • Reference services: The library has newspapers dating back to 1900 and some earlier, and staff will make photocopies from indexed works and from newspapers if you supply a citation with the exact date and place. Photocopies cost 20 cents per page for up to 10 pages, with a minimum charge of $1. Requests are accepted by phone, fax, mail ore-mail.

New Jersey State Archives

225 W. State St., Level 2, Trenton, NJ 08625, (609) 292-6260 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The New Jersey archives doesn’t loan materials, but you can purchase microfilmed newspapers for $35 per roll. Search available microfilm at <>.
  • Reference services: Co to <> for a list of records you can request by mail and the associated fees. Records include birth, marriage and death records from 1848 to 1878, wills before 1900, military records and naturalization records.

New Jersey State Library

225 W. State St., Trenton, NJ 08625, (609) 292-6220 <>

  • Reference services: You can submit your research question online at <>. The research fee is $3 per citation plus 50 cents per page. The minimum charge for photocopying is $5 for residents and $10 for nonresidents.

New Mexico State Library

1209 Camino Carlos Rey, Santa Fe, NM 87507, (505) 476-9700 <>

New Mexico State Records Center and Archives

1205 Camino Carlos Rey, Santa Fe, NM 87507, (505) 476-7908 <>

  • Reference services: Staff will spend up to 30 minutes on a research request if you provide a specific name, date and place.

New York State Archives

Cultural Education Center, Albany, NY 12230, (518)474-8955 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The archives loans newspapers.
  • Reference services: Questions are accepted by phone, mail or e-mail.

New York State Historical Association

Lake Road, Route 80, Cooperstown, NY 13326, (607) 547-1400 <>

  • Reference services: Nonmembers pay $35 an hour. The collection focuses on upstate New York genealogy.

New York State Library

Cultural Education Center, Albany, NY 12230,(518)474-5355 <>

North Carolina Office of Archives and History

109 E. Jones St., Raleigh, NC 27601, (919) 733-3952 <>

  • Reference services: The archives houses all state records, while the state library houses only books. Out-of-state researchers are charged $20 for each inquiry. Use the online form to submit your question.

State Library of North Carolina

109 E. Jones St., Raleigh, NC 27601, (919) 733-3270 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The library loans newspapers on microfilm. See <> for a list of newspapers on microfilm.
  • Reference services: The library’s staff will check up to five indexed books and make up to 15 pages of photocopies for 20 cents per page with a minimum charge of $3. Submit your requests by mail or e-mail.

North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies

1305 19th Ave. N., Fargo, ND 58105, (701)231-8914 <>

  • Online databases: Tools on the Web site include a North Dakota biography index, Fargo Forum obituary database (1901 to 1902 and 1984 to 1995), the 1885 census of Dakota Territory (north half), North Dakota naturalization records and Cass County marriage licenses.
  • Reference services: Photocopies of records cost $5 plus postage.

State Historical Society of North Dakota

612 E. Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58505, (701)328-091 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The historical society lends newspapers; the 1885,1915 and 1925 state censuses; and Indian reservation censuses from 1885 to 1939. See <> for newspaper microfilm numbers. Fees are $1 per microfilm roll to North Dakota libraries and $2 per roll elsewhere.
  • Reference services: Staff will search a newspaper for a birth announcement or an obituary, or for a name in an indexed work for $5. The fee includes up to two photocopies and postage.

Ohio Historical Society

1982 Velma Ave., Columbus, OH 43211, (614) 297-2300 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: Microfilmed newspapers cost $3 per reel.
  • Online databases: On the society’s Web site, you’ll find an Ohio death certificate index covering 1913 to 1937, an index to Ohio prisoners at Andersonville, Ga., and Salisbury, NC, prisons from 1864 to 1865 and a database of Ohio Soldiers in the War of 1812.
  • Reference services: Staff will check for a name in up to 10 years of indexed records for a fee of $20, which includes up to four pages of photocopies and postage. A photocopy of a death certificate costs just $1 if you provide the exact details.

State Library of Ohio

274 E. First Ave., Columbus, OH 43201, (614) 644-6966 <>

  • Reference services: Staff will spend up to 30 minutes researching a query and provide up to 10 pages of photocopies without charge. Additional photocopies cost 25 cents per page.

Oklahoma Historical Society

2100 N. Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73105, (405) 521-2491 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The society doesn’t offer interlibrary loan, but see <> for a list of microfilmed newspapers available for purchase.
  • Reference services: Society staff will search indexes to newspaper birth and death notices. The fee is $5 for Oklahoma residents and $20 for nonresidents. The society accepts requests by mail.

Oregon Historical Society

1200 SW Park Ave., Portland, OR 97203, (503)306-5240 <>

  • Reference services: The staff will check indexes, databases and manuscript collections. Extensive research costs $50 per hour with a minimum charge of $25. Inquiries by phone, fax, mail and e-mail are accepted.

Oregon State Archives

800 Summer St. NE, Salem, OR 97310, (503) 373-0701 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: You can’t borrow materials from the state archives, but the University of Oregon <> lends newspapers.
  • Online databases: The Oregon Historical Records Index covers census, vital, probate and naturalization records.
  • Reference services: A photocopy of a record cited in the archives’ online indexes costs $5 for residents and $10 for nonresidents. Make requests by mail or phone.

Oregon State Library

250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301, (503) 378-4243 <>

  • Reference services: Staff of the Willamette Valley Genealogical Society will check marriage, death, probate, census and other records for a fee of $5 to $10, and will do other research for $10 per hour.

Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania

215 S. Broad St., Floor 7, Philadelphia, PA 19107, (215) 545-0391 <>

  • Online databases: The Web site has name indexes to the society’s manuscript collection and the 165-volume Rubincam collection.
  • Reference services: If you provide a specific reference with a date, the fee is $10, which includes up to five pages of photocopies and postage. Research for a minimum of one hour and a maximum of two hours costs $22 an hour for members and $35 an hour for nonmembers. The research fee does not include the cost of photocopies.

Historical Society of Pennsylvania

1300 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19107, (215)732-6200 <>

  • Reference services: If you provide an exact citation, photocopies cost 50 cents per page plus about $5 for shipping. Research by mail costs $40 for the first hour and $30 for each additional hour. The fee includes up to 20 photocopies.

Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission

300 North St., Harrisburg, PA 17120, (717)787-3362 <>

  • Online databases: The Archives Records Information Access System (ARIAS) <> has files on Pennsylvania veterans of the Revolutionary War, the Mexican Border Campaign, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War and World War I. Of the 500,000 records, 200,000 are already online, and the rest will be added soon.
  • Reference services: A search of indexed records costs $10 for residents and $15 for nonresidents and includes up to 10 copies. You can print a copy of the Mail Reference Form from the Web site.

State Library of Pennsylvania

Commonwealth and Walnut streets, Harrisburg, PA 17126, (717) 783-5950 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The library has more than 80,000 rolls of microfilmed newspapers dating from 1719, which you can borrow.
  • Reference services: The library staff accepts reference questions by phone, mail or e-mail.

Rhode Island State Archives

337 Westminster St., Providence, RI 02903, (401)222-2353 <>

  • Reference services: Staff will find and copy a vital record. Ask for the Vital Records Request Form by fax, mail or e-mail.

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

8301 Parklane Road, Columbia, SC 29223, (803)896-6100 <>

  • Online databases: An index to 293,000-plus documents dated from 1675 to 1868 allows searches of Confederate pension applications, will transcriptions and criminal journals.
  • Reference services: Use the Genealogy Research Request Form <> to request a search of court, land, military or probate records. You’ll be notified how much photocopies cost.

South Carolina Historical Society

100 Meeting St., Charleston, SC 29402, (843)723-3225 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: Though the state historical society doesn’t lend materials, the Charleston County Library <> has newspapers you can borrow.
  • Reference services: Staff can search indexes of deeds, wills and gravestone transcriptions. Most searches cost between $10 and $20. Use the form at <> to make an inquiry.

South Dakota State Historical Society Archives

900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501, (605) 773-3458 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: Microfilmed newspapers <> can be borrowed for $6.36 per reel.
  • Reference services: A search for one name in one newspaper, book, state census or naturalization record costs $10.60. A search of multiple records costs $21.20 per hour of research. Use the online forms to request a search.

East Tennessee Historical Society

600 Market St., Knoxville, TN 37901, (865)215-8824 <>

  • Reference services: Staff will check indexed sources for a fee.

Tennessee State Library and Archives

403 Seventh Ave. N., Nashville, TN 37243, (615) 741-2764 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: Only Tennessee libraries can borrow microfilmed newspapers.
  • Online databases: You’ll find indexes to Tennessee death records from 1908 to 1912 (complete) and 1914 to 1925 (partial), Tennessee Confederate pension applications and Tennesseans in the Spanish-American War.
  • Reference services: Staff will search county histories, city directories, manuscripts and newspapers for between $5 and $10. You can submit your request via e-mail.

Texas State Library & Archives Commission

1201 Brazos St., Austin, TX 78701, (512) 463-5455 <www.tsl.state,>

  • Interlibrary loan: Microfilmed newspapers, county records and the 1867 voters’ registration are available.
  • Online databases: Databases include an index to Confederate pension applications issued by the Texas government.
  • Reference services: Staff will search indexes of Texas births from the 1880s to 1976, marriages since 1966, divorces since 1968 and deaths since 1903. You can submit a research request by mail or e-mail.

Utah State Archives & Records Service

2341 S. 2300 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84119, (801)975-4016 <>

  • Interlibrary loan:The archives lends state and county records. Shipping and handling is $4 for one to two rolls.
  • Online databases: Searchable databases <> include indexes to birth and death records in several counties.
  • Reference services: Photocopies cost 25 cents from paper and 50 cents from microfilm. There’s a 25-page limit per request, and each request requires a $1.50 mailing charge.

Utah State Historical Society

300 S. Rio Grande, Salt Lake City, UT 84101, (801)533-3500 <>

  • Online databases: Look for databases of Utah cemeteries and burials.
  • Reference services: Photocopies cost 25 cents per page for up to 100 pages and 50 cents per page from microfilm, plus a minimum of $3 for postage and handling.

Vermont Department of Libraries Newspaper Project

Bailey/Howe Library, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, (802)656-2016 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: Vermont’s Newspaper Project makes it possible for libraries to loan newspapers and town histories at no charge.

Vermont Historical Society

60 Washington St., Barre, VT 05641, (802) 479-8500 <>

  • Reference services: The research fee is $15. Holdings include published military service records and pension lists, cemetery inscriptions and the Works Progress (Projects) Administration graves index of soldiers buried in Vermont. Inquiries are accepted by mail or e-mail.

Library of Virginia

800 E. Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219, (814)692-3888 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: You can borrow vital records, newspapers, land records and other microfilmed materials.
  • Online databases: Thanks to the since-curtailed Digital Library Program (a victim of budget cuts), Virginia’s state library site has many online databases, including vital records, military records and land records. You can view images of early land patents and grants at <>.
  • Reference services: Service fees range from $25 to S50 and are described at <>. You can print out a form to request research in land, military or Bible records. Use another form to request a newspaper obituary or marriage notice for $10.

Virginia Historical Society

428 North Blvd., Richmond, VA 23220, (804)358-4901 <>

  • Reference services: Up to one hour of research costs $20, and the fee includes a limited number of photocopies. The Web site has forms for submitting a reference question and requesting copies.

Washington State Archives

1129 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98504, (360) 753-5485 <>

  • Online databases: Find transcriptions of the 1851 Lewis County census (with page images), the 1860 census of Washington and the 1871 census of Yakima County on the Web site.

Washington State Historical Society

1911 Pacific Ave., Tacoma, WA 98402, (253)272-3500 <>

  • Reference services: Residents and society members get up to an hour of free staff research. A $30 minimum charge applies to most other inquiries. Click on Information, and then on Research Request Form to submit your question online.

Washington State Library

Point Plaza East Complex, 6880 Capitol Blvd. S., Tumwater, WA 98054, (360) 704-5200 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: Microfilmed newspapers, Washington Territorial census records from 1859 to 1892 and the index to Washington death records from 1907 to 1979 are available.

West Virginia State Archives

1900 Kanawha Blvd. E., Charleston, WV 25305, (304) 558-0230 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: You can’t borrow directly from the archives, but its Web site lists newspaper holdings on microfilm.
  • Reference services: The $10 fee includes up to $2.50 in photocopies and postage. Photo-copies cost 25 cents from paper and 50 cents from microfilm. Birth and death certificates cost $2.50. Submit up to two requests by mail.

Wisconsin Historical Society

816 State St., Madison, WI 53706, (608) 264-6460 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: The society lends all Wisconsin territorial and state censuses from 1836 to 1905 and thousands of newspapers from across the United States, plus the Draper manuscripts.
  • Online databases: If you have Wisconsin ancestors who served in the Civil War, check the Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. The new Wisconsin Local History & Biography Articles database, located at <> has images of 16,000 articles from hundreds of newspapers published between 1860 and 1940.
  • Reference services: The research fee for nonresidents is $17.50. You can request copies of pre-1907 Wisconsin birth, marriage and death records and Civil War service records using the Online Genealogical Research Service.

Wyoming State Archives

2301 Central Ave., Cheyenne, WY 82002, (307) 777-7826 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: You can buy — but not borrow — microfilmed newspapers.
  • Reference services: The staff will spend a limited amount of time answering research requests submitted by mail, fax or e-mail. The archives has a large collection of Wyoming newspapers on microfilm.

Wyoming State Historical Society

1740H Dell Range Blvd., Cheyenne, WY 82009, (307)635-4881 <>

  • Online databases: The Web site has an index to the Annals of Wyoming covering 1923 to 1994.
  • Reference services: You can submit a question using a form available from the historical society’s Web site.

Wyoming State Library

2301 Capitol Ave., Cheyenne, WY 82002, (307) 777-6333 <>

  • Interlibrary loan: You can borrow most microfilm and other items in the collection for free. The library’s newspaper holdings are limited to turn-of-the-century Cheyenne papers.
  • Reference services: Staff will copy an article or obituary if you have a specific date. There’s no charge for just a few photocopies.
Library Lookups
State libraries and archives do sometimes change their Web addresses. Use these directories to track them down:

COSHRC Directory of State Archives, <>

Library of Congress Directory of State Libraries, <>

From the August 2003 Family Tree Magazine