Get help with your family tree! This issue contains expect advice on how to improve your genealogy, with guides to Irish and Canadian research, highlights of genealogy society membership benefits, and tips for planning a trip to your ancestor’s homeland. You’ll also find our newly updated state research guides on California and Ohio, written by experts from each state.
Highlights from this issue include:
- a guide to Irish genealogy: the best records and websites, plus a summary of Irish history
- tips for preserving at-risk family photos
- a roundup of Canadian genealogy websites
- an inside look at the NGS-FGS merger, plus the benefits of joining a genealogy society
- a FREE Adoption Genealogy Cheat Sheet
Luck of the Irish
By Claire Santry
Fortunately, reports of Irish record loss are greatly exaggerated. Check out this guide to researching ancestors from the Emerald Isle.
By Sunny Jane Morton
Two national genealogy societies have combined forces. The “new NGS” offers five reasons for you to join it and your local societies.
By Maureen A. Taylor
These expert tips from the Photo Detective will help you save even damaged family photos for future generations.
The True North
By Rick Crume
Trace your family history across “the Great White North” with these 14 Canadian genealogy websites.
Home Sweet Homeland
By Nicole Evans
Plan trip to the old country that’s both fun and informational with these seven steps for successful heritage travel.
- Research Guides: California and Ohio
- Tech News
- Lisa’s Picks
- Timeline: Wheels
- Family History Home: Preserving Musical Instruments
- Stories to Tell
- Your Turn: Photo Inventory Form
- Photo Detective
- Now What
- Website Tutorial: USGenWeb
- Resource Roundup: Historical Map Websites
- DNA Q&A: Retaking a DNA Test
Once you download the March/April 2021 issue of Family Tree Magazine, you’ll need a PDF reader, such as the free Adobe Reader software, to open it. Adobe Reader is available for both Mac and Windows computers.