Trace your Polish ancestors back to the homeland with this quick guide to Polish genealogy. This cheat sheet will teach you about Polish geography, language, and history, plus how to find and use Polish records immigration, birth, and census records.
Trace your Polish ancestors back to the old country! This eight-page Polish Genealogy Cheat Sheet is designed to quickly deliver the information you need to understand the records of your Polish ancestors, with quick guides to the most important aspects of Polish geography, language, history and records.
In this cheat sheet, you’ll find:
- A full-color map of Poland, plus a list of administrative divisions used throughout Polish history and where the current national and regional archives are housed
- A detailed look at the Partitions of Poland that divided the country for nearly 125 years, with a map displaying which parts of the country were annexed by other nations
- An historical timeline listing the most important moments in Polish history
- Lists of Polish words (with their English translations) that commonly appear in records, including: numbers, days of the week, month names, vital events, family relationships and important genealogical events
- An at-a-glance guide to Polish genealogy records, including vital records and military records
- More resources (such as books, websites, online articles and educational resources) to expand your research
Once you download the Polish Genealogy Cheat Sheet, you’ll need a PDF reader, such as the free Adobe Reader software, to open it. Adobe Reader is available for both Macs and Windows computers.
Note: This cheat sheet contains content adapted from the book The Family Tree Polish, Czech, and Slovak Genealogy Guide, which contains numerous tips for discovering your ancestors in Eastern Europe. Learn more about the full book.