Discover the secrets in your family photos with this collection of the best Photo Detective blog posts. This eBook will help you decipher clues from your ancestors’ photos, from identifying a person to dating photos using photography methods and fashion.
Discover what clues are hiding in your family photos! This anthology of the best Photo Detective blog posts will help you uncover details about your family members in all kinds of ancestor photos, from formal wedding portraits to workplace images snapped in the factory. This eBook features real-life case studies, organized by kind of photo, that detail how to find and analyze hidden clues in your family photos. With this eBook’s tried-and-true strategies, you’ll learn how to identify and unpack hints about your ancestors’ lives, including how to identify people in family photos and how to use details like clothing, kind of photograph and props to estimate when they were taken.
Who Should Get This eBook
You’ll love the Uncovering Clues in Family Photos: The Best of the Photo Detective eBook if…
- You want to discover rich details about your ancestors’ lives
- You’ve got piles of family photos but don’t know how they can help your research
- You’ve closely studied your trove of family photos and want fresh ways of examining them
The Uncovering Clues in Family Photos: The Best of the Photo Detective eBook features:
- Techniques for researching nine different kinds of family photos, including childhood portraits, school pictures and images related to immigration
- More than 40 real-life examples of photo-sleuthing methods in practice
- Sample historical photos to demonstrate the kinds of details you might find in your own family’s collection
Excerpt: Sample Tips
Here are some tips you’ll find in the Uncovering Clues in Family Photos: The Best of the Photo Detective eBook:
- Study fashion trends. Dating photos is one of the most challenging (and most important) tasks in researching family photos. The clothing being worn by a photo’s subjects can give you an estimate of when the photo was taken, as even minor fashion details (such as kinds of buttons and shirt/dress collars) fell in and out of style over the years.
- Revisit research roadblocks. Getting nowhere in understanding a particular photo? Don’t be afraid to put the project down and come back to it later. You never know what kind of information might turn up in the meantime!
- Research the photographer and the kind of photograph. How an image was created and the physical format in which it appears is just as important as a photo’s actual content. Look for details such as the photo’s card stock, the photographic method used and the history of the photographer or photography company to help you pinpoint a photo’s date.
Contents of the Uncovering Clues in Family Photos: The Best of the Photo Detective eBook:
Childhood Clues: Photos of your ancestors as children
School Days: Photos of your ancestors in school
Overseas Revelations: Photos of your immigrant ancestors
Wedding Gifts: Photos of your ancestors’ big day
A Working Life: Photos of your ancestors at work
Military Puzzlers: Photos of your ancestors in the armed forces
Coming Together: Photos of your ancestors in fraternal organizations
The Living Dead: Photos of your ancestors from the grave
Everyday Life: Photos of your ancestors in day-to-day life
The Uncovering Clues in Family Photos: The Best of the Photo Detective eBook comes in PDF format and can be printed out or viewed on your tablet, laptop or desktop computer for easy reference while working with your family memories.
Portions of this eBook were originally published in the Family Tree Magazine Photo Detective blog. Learn about the blog and read more Photo Detective posts here.