2018 Spring Virtual Conference
Early Bird pricing ends soon! Sign up now!
Our 3-day virtual conference is designed to help you make the most of your research time. And for a limited time only, use coupon code FTMSPRING at checkout to take $40 off the price of admission. This offer ends February 16th!
Conference runs April 6th - 8th
Watch your family tree bloom with our Spring Virtual Conference. With plenty of tools and techniques at your fingertips, you'll discover plenty of new tips and tricks for finding records of your ancestors. And since it all happens online, you get all the benefits of a live conference, without having to leave home.
What you'll get:
- 3 Days of expert instruction: 15 recorded presentations you can download and watch as often as you want
- Convenience: you can make your own schedule and watch the presentations on your own time - which means you don't have to miss a minute
- Value: each 30-minute presentation costs $40 when sold through the shop, giving you savings of over $400!
- Live keynote and Q&A sessions run by experienced genealogy instructors so you can get answers to your burning research questions
- Comfort: Participate from your couch or home office! No need to pack a bag or go through long security lines at the airport - you don't even have to change out of pajamas!
- Variety: From technology and DNA testing and analysis to research methods and preservation, everyone will learn new tricks for accomplishing their goals
- SWAG: You won't go away empty-handed. In addition to the video and live presentation downloads, you'll get plenty of resources to keep you busy and keep your research on track, long after the conference ends. A few lucky people will also win prizes in our daily drawings.
The Presentation Tracks
Our spring virtual conference will have 3 days of presentations, live Q&As, discussions, giveaways and other activities that will help you learn new research techniques. Our presentations are divided into the following tracks:
- Genetic Genealogy: Learn all about the testing tools, strategies and analysis techniques for finding your family history written in your own genetic code
- >b>Tools and Technology: Whether it's the latest gadgets or tried-and-true software, new online resources or new ways of searching established websites, we'll show you how to make the best use of the tools of the trade
- Research Methods: You'll learn new strategies for finding new records and resources as well as what those records contain and how to use them in your research
See the presentation lineup below!
Events and Activities
We'll have plenty of live events, from our keynote to Q&As with genealogy experts. We'll also have daily giveaways on the discussion boards, so get ready to ask questions and interact with your fellow attendees! Our conference mods will be on hand all three days so you won't go without an answer.
Passionate About the Past
Tune in live for this keynote on April 7th at Noon ET (11am Central, 10 Mountain, 9 Pacific) from Paula Stuart-Warren. Paula is a certified genealogist and experienced presenter whose contributions to genealogy research have been recognized with several awards. In this 30-minute keynote, she'll talk about how genealogy is so much more than a hobby. She'll be available for a brief Q&A at the end as well.
There will be three live Q&As over the weekend. Join the editors of Family Tree Magazine on Friday afternoon, when we'll answer your questions with tips for getting past your brick walls. Your moderators, Shannon Combs-Bennett and Gena Philibert-Ortega will also be offering live Q&As you won't want to miss on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
Virtual Conference Lineup
Sign up now so you don't miss these brand new presentations!
Testing with LivingDNA by Roberta Estes
This video will cover testing with Living DNA - how it differs from other testing companies, how to take the test and what information the company provides, as well as analysis tools for working results in genealogy research
Using Technology and DNA to Find Family History by Andre Kearns
This case study will show the methodology used by presenter to formulate a theory about his ancestor, then how he used DNA testing and social media to research that story, highlighting applicable techniques for others to try.
The Science Behind DNA by Shannon Combs-Bennett
Get the science behind how DNA tests work, from what your DNA is and how it works to how the labs use it to find your matches — all in easy-to-understand terms.
MyHeritageDNA by Shannon Combs-Bennett
MyHeritage is one of the big databases, so its entry into DNA testing can be a game changer. Learn about the tests and analysis tools this company offers and how to incorporate it into your genealogy research.
The Ethics of Genetic Genealogy
In this presentation, Barbara Rae Venter will talk about ethical methods of using DNA testing to find family history while incorporating compassion and sensitivity into the process.
TECHNOLOGY AND TOOLS
Using Treelines by Gena Philibert-Ortega
This video will cover Treelines - how to use it, what it involves, and how it can help document and preserve genealogy research.
Mastering Findmypast by Sunny Morton
This video will cover the online site FindMyPast, including what records are in the database, how to search them, unique collections and other unique features.
Searching Records on JewishGen.org by Jen Alford
This video presentation will cover the website https://www.jewishgen.org/, including what records it holds, how to search the site and use it for genealogy, as well as other hidden resources you can use to find your ancestors.
4 Ways to Use FamilySearch by Sunny Morton
In this presentation, Sunny Morton demonstrates how to use FamilySearch.org’s online tools to find your ancestors’ details.
Devil in the Details by Nancy Hendrickson
Learn how to incorporate historical events and details when telling our ancestors' stories, including how those events would provide background context to their lifestyles and decisions they would make.
Applying Sanborn Maps to Research by Lisa Louise Cooke This presentation will cover where to find and how to use Sanborn maps in your genealogy search.
Your Ancestor’s Tax Records by Peggy Clemons Lauritzen
This video presentation will demonstrate how to find tax records for your ancestors, what information they include, and how to incorporate them into research.
Loose Records in Archives by Melissa Barker
This video presentation will cover the "loose" records in archives - what they are, where they can be found, what might be contained within, and how to use them.
Finding Your Female Ancestors by Gena Philibert-Ortega
This video will cover how to find records of female ancestors, dealing with missing names, maiden names and other problems unique to finding women in our family history.
African-American Newspaper Records by Timothy Pinnick
In this presentation, Tim will talk about how to find newspaper records of African-American ancestry and history.
|Skill Level||Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced|
For United States customers:
Ground: $4.95 flat rate. Free shipping on orders over $50
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2-8 business days. Includes tracking information.
2nd Day Air: $19.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 2 business days; no P.O. boxes. 2nd Day shipping includes tracking information.
Next Day Air: $49.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is 1 business day; no P.O. boxes. Next Day shipping includes tracking information.
For International customers:
- Shipping Method —All orders are sent via Airmail. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive.
- Tracking information is not available for International orders at this time.
International Air Printed Matter: $6.95
Estimated total shipping time (not including order processing time) is dependent on final destination. For Canada, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 weeks. For other International Countries please allow for an estimated shipping time of 4-6 weeks.
Digital Product Download
When you purchase a downloadable item from our store, you have unlimited access to your purchase and can download it as many times and as often as needed. To access and save your download please follow these instructions:
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Downloadable Products” *If you have purchased an online course, click "My Courses"
- Underneath the Product title will be the download link, click the link to view the PDF or Video
- To save your purchases to your computer please do the following:
*PC Users: Right click on the download link, select “Save Link As” (Firefox, Chrome) or “Save Target As” (Internet Explorer)
*MAC Users: Hold the Ctrl button while clicking on the download link and select the option “Download Linked File As” (Safari)
- Save the download(s) to your “Desktop,” “My documents” or other favorite folder. Click “Save”
If you are having trouble opening your download, we recommend using the latest version of Adobe Reader for eBooks, digital magazine issues and patterns/projects. Get it here for free: https://get.adobe.com/reader
For videos, we recommend using VLC Player. Here is the link to access VLC download for free: http://www.videolan.org
Digital Courses and Streaming Video
If you have purchased an on-demand courses or video you can access your product immediately by following the directions below. If you have purchased course with a start date you can still access it by following the directions below but may be limited to what you can access until the course starts at the date that was described in the details section of the product you purchased.
- Click on “Sign Up/Sign In” at the top right corner on this website.
- Sign in with your email and password
- Click “Welcome, (your name)!” in the upper right corner
- On the left side of the screen click on “My Courses”
- Click the button to the right of the Product Title labeled "Go To Course”
- This will open the course and video platform and place you in the dashboard.
- Under My Courses or My Videos you should see your recent purchase.
- Click the Start Course or Start Video button to the right to access your product.