The raging success of sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and YouTube isn’t due just to kids collecting loads of friends, or to unlikely Joe Schmoes achieving video stardom. No, sir. Plenty of people use such sites to create online communities of those pursuing the same passions. Genealogists are right there among them, sharing resources, spreading news like wildfire, cheering research successes and finding internet cousins—smoothly blending their family history hobby into their nongenealogical networking.
If you’re already lurking around on Facebook and Twitter and Flickr and YouTube—or you’ve thought about it—you can grab a piece of this action to discover ancestors and enhance your genealogical enjoyment. The seven following strategies show you how to take advantage of these four social networking sites to enhance your family tree search.
1. Get going.
2. Find fellow researchers.
3. Make research progress.
4. Learn about the latest, greatest resources.
5. Connect with experts.
• Fan and friend. Look for professional researchers whose articles you read in genealogy magazines, your favorite conference speakers or the leaders of major genealogy companies. If you have a favorite family history book, look for a fan page on Facebook.
• Look for sale news. Companies and organizations you’re following often post special offers on Facebook and Twitter, adding up to savings on subscription websites, CDs, books, classes, genealogy events and more. Good deals often go viral as fans and followers share the news.
7. Keep in touch with relatives.
• Post family news. It’s easy to reach all your friends and family with a single status update about your child’s school trip or your new granddaughter. Create a family group on Facebook (make it private, so others join by invitation only) to limit sharing to group members. You also can assign friends to categories (such as genealogy society and relatives) and share individual posts with certain categories.
- Genealogy Pages to fan on Facebook
- Ten Ways to Use Twitter for Genealogy
- Social Networking for Your Family Tree
For Plus Members