You have no items in your shopping cart.
- abstract: a summary of the important aspects of a document
- administrator/administratrix: person or persons appointed by the court to administer an intestate estate (administrator, male; administratrix, female)
- codicil: an amendment to a will
- dower: a provision in the law for the widow for her support and the care of her children. Upon the death of her husband, the widow received one-third in value of all lands that her husband owned at the time of his death.
- estate: the sum total of a person’s property
- executor/executrix: person or persons named in a will to carry out the terms in the will (executor, male; executrix, female)
- intestate: a case where a person dies leaving no valid will
- inventory: an itemized list of a person’s property
- probate: the legal process of transferring items of a deceased person’s estate to heirs
- testate: a case where a person dies leaving a valid will
- transcription: a verbatim copy of a record
- will: a legal document providing for the disposition of a person’s property
From the October 2001 issue of Family Tree Magazine