Genealogy software shoppers tend to focus on traditional family tree programs designed to manage their research (see a list here). Though those full-featured programs typically offer tons of bells and whistles, certain genealogy jobs call for specialized software—such as these eight popular Windows add-on “assistants” that streamline tasks from watermarking to mapping to memoir writing. Several of these programs are available from Family Tree Shop.
Charting Companion by Progeny
- $19.95 (Family Tree Maker version, $24.95)
- Expands Ancestral Quest, FamilySearch, Family Tree Maker and Legacy users’ repertoire of graphical charts and reports.
- Registered users can download a free PDF of wall-chart printing tips.
Clooz by Ancestor Detective
- Billed as an “electronic filing cabinet,” it’s a database to help you retrieve clues you’ve uncovered in your search.
- Software includes forms for US and European censuses, as well as other documents.
Family Atlas by RootsMagic
- Plots locations in your family tree file on a map, allowing you to trace your ancestors’ migrations and check the accuracy of place names.
- Zoom in and out à la Google Earth. Customize place markers and display options. Capture any screen view as a graphic file.
GEDMark by Progeny
- Like a virtual “watermarker” for your GEDCOM files—imprints your authorship on every individual’s data.
- Attach the creators’ names to GEDCOMs you download online.
Genelines by Progeny
- Using your family tree file or a GEDCOM, Genelines creates timeline charts highlighting events in your family’s past along with key historical happenings.
- Generate timelines illustrating one person’s or multiple people’s lives.
GenSmarts by Underwood Innovations
- A virtual research assistant: Uses artificial intelligence to analyze your file and suggest to-dos for your research.
- Get repository recommendations and Family History Library microfilm numbers based on locales you’re researching.
Map My Family Tree by Progeny
- $45.95 (available on CD only; includes shipping)
- Plots locations in your family tree file on a map, allowing you to trace your ancestors’ migrations and check the accuracy of place names. Customize place markers and display options. Capture any screen view as a graphic file.
Personal Historian by RootsMagic
- Jump-starts your memoir or family history book by importing events from your family file, then letting you add text and images.
- Write vignettes for key events, then export to your word processor for fine-tuning.
From the September 2010 Family Tree Magazine