Looking for a creative way to tell your family’s story? Here are some of our favorite genealogy crafts and gifts that you can use to save and share your family history. For more ideas, be sure to visit our Pinterest page!
Family History Photo Crafts
- A photo blog
- A slideshow set to music
- A meme or collage
- Photo transfers onto canvas, wood or fabric
- Turn them into jewelry (lockets, miniature charms, etc.)
- Create quilt blocks
- Iron-on transfers to t-shirts
- Create a coloring book
- Heirloom ornaments with ancestor photos
Photo books are one of our favorite family history projects! There are a few essential elements that every photo book should have, but photo books also leave lots of room for personalization and creativity.
Genealogy Writing Projects
- Create a blog
- Write a series of short stories
- Write for a newsletter or local paper
- Write a genealogy research report
The ideas listed above are some of our favorite, more traditional writing projects, but there are so many more ways to celebrate your family’s history through writing! Check out some of our family history writing prompts for more ideas.
Involve the Family
- Have the kids reenact a family story as a play
- Videotape your older relatives telling their stories and memories
- Set up a video booth at your next family gathering (have questions and prompts ready) and record interviews with your relatives
For more ideas, check out our post on kid-friendly genealogy activities.