Celebrate Family History Month
Since being passed by Congress in 2001, Family History Month as been observed annually during the month of October. The month now celebrates a great deal of promotion and recognition – from community events to lectures and workshops held by historians and funeral service professionals, there are plenty of ways to get out and get inspired.
Free Live Q&A With the Editors
Have any burning genealogy questions? Looking for advice on a particular brick wall? Join the Editors of Family Tree for a free live Q&A in honor of Family History Month.
Tue, Oct 17, 2017 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM EDT
Celebrate Family History Month each week with deals from Family Tree! The deal changes each week, so check back to see the new sale.
This week: Save an Extra 20% on Clearance Products!
Celebrate Family History Month at Home!
- Get your kids or grandkids excited about Family History Month with these genealogy activities for all ages.
- Check out one of our favorite resources, the 25 Best Genealogy Websites for Beginners
- Encourage children to ask older relatives about their family history by following these tips.
- Leave a family history legacy by tackling one of these 16 projects for passing on family traditions and stories.
- Honor an ancestor’s memory by visiting his or her burial site. If you’d like to remember your visit with a tombstone rubbing, make sure the stone is sound and rubbings are permitted, then follow these instructions.
- Learn about (and prepare) a favorite family recipe. Here’s the information you’ll want to find out about the dish.
Recommended Family Tree University Course
If you’re new to genealogy, this is just the course for you! Learn how to trace your family history and find your ancestors with this introduction to genealogy research with our Trace Your Roots: Find Your Family Tree course.
Family Tree University is the only program that combines a friendly, accessible style of genealogy instruction—popularized by Family Tree Magazine—with a state-of-the-art online learning environment to make genealogy education rewarding and fun.
Best Books for Beginners
|Summer 2017 Discover Your Roots Digital Edition||In the Summer 2017 Discover Your Roots digital edition, Family Tree Magazine's genealogy experts help you find the best old records, genealogy websites and DNA tests for starting your ancestry and family history research.|
|Family Tree Memory Keeper||From the editors of Family Tree Magazine, this workbook makes it easy to record and organize your family history.
|Googling Your Genealogy||Google is perhaps the most powerful weapon in the genealogist's toolbox. Prepare to become a web wizard with this hour-long webinar.|
|Story of My Life||Save your life story for family and future generations of relatives. This workbook’s prompts help you record and share your most memorable moments, preserving your life and times for years to come.|
These books and more are all available at Family Tree Shop.